"A radical refurbishment of historic market sheds in the civic heart of Preston"
Greig and Stephenson Architects were commissioned to revitalize the historic market in Preston town centre, using two existing listed structures.
- LocationEarl Street, Preston
- Site Area4,338 sqm
- Time Scale2015 - Ongoing
The impressive Covered Market with its hipped roof, 32 iron perimeter columns and decorative castings dates from 1875. The smaller and much simpler Fish Market was built in 1924. In recent years neither building has been used to its full potential. To the north, the 1970s building currently housing the town’s market is a poor retail facility and is out of place architecturally amongst the fine 19th-century buildings close by.
Drawing on the Borough Market, Greig and Stephenson Architects drew up plans to refurbish the listed market buildings and restore market trading to them and the surrounding streets. Based upon this idea, we were then instructed by Preston City Council in 2015 to continue to develop this idea, with the market structure being completed in early 2018.